Job Title: Horticultural Operations Coordinator
The Albert C. Wiltshire Employment Center recruits qualified candidates for positions within the Brooklyn Navy Yard, a 300-acre industrial park housing over 400+ businesses within the manufacturing, food, media, technology, and creative fields
A Brooklyn Navy Yard-based commercial rooftop farm and event space is seeking a Horticultural Operations Coordinator. The business seeks a focused, positive, hard-working leader to run point on logistics, scheduling, and flow of operations for our landscaping maintenance division for off-site, client based urban landscapes. The Maintenance team is charged with the care of varied green spaces that include terraces, green roofs, indoor plants, ground level gardens, and edible landscapes.
The Horticulture Operations Coordinator is a systems driven, hyper-organized team member who can increase the efficiency of the Maintenance teams’ logistical operations and inventory management, with particular emphasis on organizing information and creating streamlined schedules. Experience or background in urban gardening, horticulture, and/or landscaping is a plus.
Candidates for this role should be capable of maintaining impeccable workspaces, organized records of both tool and plant inventory, calendars and schedules, and client communications. Additionally, the Horticulture Operations Coordinator should be comfortable working independently and must be prompt and clear when communicating with the Director of Design/Build/Maintenance, Head of Horticulture & Maintenance, Assistant Garden Managers, Gardeners and other team members. This position requires strong organizational / logistics / systems acumen, adept people skills, and time management. The Horticulture Operations Coordinator will also model and help ensure a culture of kindness, respect, support, and inclusivity for our team, as well as for the clients and community with whom we engage.
Work will be Part Time Year Round, at approximately 32 hours/week.
Full Time, Seasonal work is an option, depending on qualifications and experience.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
The company is the world’s largest green roof farming and intensive green roof business. They grow vegetables, and we design/install/maintain green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters, to non-profit organizations and schools. We also host programming & events on our rooftop farms in Brooklyn, NY.
All three of our departments — our Farm department, our Programming & Events department, and our Design/Build/Maintenance department — are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with this company means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, delicious, and equitable place to live.
- Work with the Head of Horticulture & Maintenance and Director of Design/Build/Maintenance to ensure clearly organized and accessible information related to approximately 60 client sites and multiple team members.
- Responsible for coordinating all client site / work days, as well as weekly schedules for all Maintenance team members.
- Schedule, prepare, and communicate to garden crews their daily tasks and work locations, ensuring they understand the responsibilities for each day and applicable time constraints.
- Maintain accurate documentation of onsite work and ensure information from the field is timely processed and addressed.
- Assist with client intake and schedule site visits; provide additional administrative sales support as needed.
- Review and approve maintenance crew timesheets.
- Track material inventory and order new materials when stock needs replenishing.
- Create packing and tool lists for on-site work; pack and unload tools, supplies, and plants into Maintenance team’s vehicles at end of each workday to ensure smooth operations.
- Manage van logistics and ensure any van repairs and/or upkeep are completed.
- Help lead and contribute to weekly Maintenance team meetings.
- Contribute to the organization, cleaning, and upkeep of the Design/Build/Maintenance team’s facility spaces, including tool storage, plant nursery, and vehicles.
- Has 2+ years of experience in operations, logistics, and/or managing landscape maintenance.
- Is highly organized and systems-oriented, with an eye for efficiency. Enjoys improving upon systems, protocols, practices. Can multitask and prioritize workload.
- Knowledge of Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b a plus, but not required. Prior experience in landscaping or landscape operations/management is a plus.
- Is self-motivated and independent, has a strong work ethic, and can learn quickly.
- Is also collaborative, thrives as part of a team, and can motivate and support team members.
- Is a clear communicator, both in writing and in conversation.
- Has an understanding of irrigation system management.
- Can navigate Google Drive, Google Sheets, record and enter data into spreadsheets, etc.
- Can lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, & reach for extended periods of time.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Demonstrates a passion for sustainability, a concern for equity, and is motivated to create more beautiful green spaces that center greater respect for people and the planet.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small and enthusiastic team.
- Pay rate of $26/hr.
- Generous Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays.
- Family, Medical, Bereavement, and other applicable leave.
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance.
- Participation in the company’s life insurance plan, with option for additional coverage amounts.
- Participation in the company’s retirement benefit.
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing, caregiving assistance, and other benefits.
- Discounted Employee CSA offering.
- Discounts to company-run events and workshops, and access to NYC’s most delicious vegetables when in season.