The BNYDC Archives seeks to build its collections primarily through donations. Our collecting approach strives to reflect the legacy of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, BNYDC, and its activities.
The Archives has two separate and equally important collecting goals:
- Materials that support BNYDC’s mission and goals.
- Materials that document the history and heritage of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
At this time, we are focused on representing the businesses that call the Yard home, as well as the corporate legacy of BNYDC.
The following information is aimed at potential donors, and provides information about the Archives’ acquisition process.
Basic Terms and Conditions Governing Donations
- All donations must be unconditional gifts.
- The Archives’ does not guarantee the exhibition of donated material.
- Donations may be tax deductible, but BNYDC will not furnish appraisals of items.
- Items are placed in storage, but not made accessible until resources become available.
- Objects may be deaccessioned based on spatial constraints and/or updated policies.