In order to achieve this vision, BNYDC does the following:
Creates and preserves quality jobs
- Builds and maintains the real estate and physical infrastructure required for modern, urban industrial business activity.
- Brings additional space online through rehabilitation, subdivision, and new development.
- Pursues tenant businesses that have the potential to be robust employers, across a spectrum of skill levels.
Anchors New York City’s modern industrial sector and its businesses
- Provides a stable and predictable real estate environment, and offers services that allow tenant businesses to invest and flourish.
- Cultivates a thriving industrial tenant base by retaining and attracting manufacturing businesses, and fostering strategic growth in other key sectors such as technology, design, artisanal, production, and film/media.
- Partners with tenants to accommodate and support their plans for growth.
- Advocates for small and industrial businesses and their unique needs and benefits.
- Demonstrates that—in the right environment—industry can still thrive in urban America.
Connects the local community with the resources and economic opportunity at the Yard
- Reaches out to and partners with the local community to create meaningful connections between residents and the jobs and other economic opportunities (such as direct placements, internships, training, and mentorship) available at the Yard, focusing on groups with significant barriers to employment.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to expand the types and quality of opportunities available.
- Ensures that local, minority and women-owned businesses have access to the development and construction opportunities the Yard presents.
- Employs sustainable practices in our development and operations.
- Honors and celebrates the history and heritage of the Yard through preservation, adaptive reuse, and public access.
- Delivers public programming and services that directly contribute to the local community.