Job Title: Counsel
Employment Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports To: General Counsel
Salary: $80,000 - $100,000
This is a hybrid role based in Brooklyn, NY (3 days/week in-office)
The Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation (BNYDC) is a not-for-profit corporation that serves as the real estate developer and property manager of the Yard on behalf of its owner, the City of New York. BNYDC strives to provide an environment in which innovative companies can take root and grow.
We are seeking an attorney to join its legal team as Counsel. The legal department currently consists of a General Counsel, a Deputy General Counsel, an Assistant General Counsel, and two other Counsels. The five attorneys are supported by a legal assistant.
Areas of Responsibility
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating leases, subleases, and other types of real estate agreements for BNYDC and its subsidiary entities; providing legal support for complex real estate development deals;
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, such as construction and consulting contracts, contract amendments, requests for proposals and other procurement offerings;
- Working with BNYDC staff (staff), outside counsels and consultants to review, monitor, prepare responses and provide information in connection with litigation matters;
- Working with staff to prepare for and execute Board of Director and committee meetings, including by collecting, reviewing, and assembling materials for such meetings;
- Working with staff to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, contractual commitments, and corporate policies;
- Working with staff and outside consultant(s) to ensure that BNYDC and its subsidiary entities are properly protected by their own and third-party insurance policies, including the review and analysis of insurance requirements and certificates;
- Conducting legal research on various legal issues and on new and proposed legislation potentially impacting BNYDC and its subsidiary entities;
- Advising executives, and management on legal issues as they arise; and
- Anticipating, raising, and mitigating legal issues which could impact BNYDC and its subsidiary entities
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Excellent analytical and diplomatic skills;
- Works well with others and enjoys team work;
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize workload and manage projects; and
- Enjoys tackling novel issues and working strategically and innovatively to solve legal problems.
- Degree from an accredited law school and member of NYS Bar required
- 2-5 years private or public sector legal experience. Candidates with more than 5 years of experience will also be considered.
- Candidates with a demonstrated interest in transactional work, particularly in real estate, will be preferred.
- Candidates with an interest in undertaking some litigation and/or compliance responsibilities are also encouraged to apply.
While remote work is currently be an option for one or two days per week, candidates should understand that most of the services to be performed for the position will be required to be performed at BNYDC’s office.
BNYDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex (including actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior or expression) sexual orientation, genetic trait, actual or perceived status of a victim of domestic violence, or a victim of sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status, age, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, military status, handicap, disability, or any other legally protected classification.
BNYDC is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees. Some of the highlights include:
- Employer-funded pension plan, with annual contributions up to 14% of your salary
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage options
- Annual HRA (health reimbursement arrangement) of $6,000 to cover out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employer-funded Basic Life/AD&D coverage
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Teledoc & TotalCare EAP memberships
- Transit/Commuter & Let’s Ride NYC (Citi Bike) benefits
- Discounted pet insurance through MetLife
- 4 weeks of PTO, paid sick leave, and Summer Fridays!